Now for the second year running (hey seems like this may just become an annual ‘thing’ that I do) I present, not the 12 days of Christmas, but rather ‘The Smoky Dram’s 12 whiskies of Christmas’ to offer my selection of 12 drams that could be enjoyed this festive season. This may be either as a present for a family member or friend, or most importantly, a present for yourself. Feel free to pass this one to a friend or family member if there is something that you would like in your stocking this year.
As usual, my list is made up of whiskies across price categories, ages, regions and ABV strengths. So hopefully there is something suitable for everyone on the list below and also all of these whiskies are available in South Africa. Your best bet though, for getting your hands on one of the whiskies and if you are in the Johannesburg region, is to visit the WhiskyBrother shop in Hyde Park. If none of the below appeals to you I am certain that they will be able to help you find a dram to your liking. Another alternative, if you like to travel out the city, is to visit Wild About Whisky in Dullstroom. Here you can sample a huge selection of whiskies, including the ones below, to see which one is your favourite.
So without a further ado, here for 2014 are:
Less than R350
- Three Ships Bourbon Cask Finish (43% ABV) – R200
- Famous Grouse The Black Grouse (43% ABV) – R220
R350 to R600
- Tomatin 12 year old (43% ABV) – R390
- Woodford Reserve Distiller’s Select (43.2% ABV) – R440
- Highland Park 12 year old (43% ABV) – R490
- Nikka Pure Malt – Black (43% ABV) – R560
- Teeling Small Batch (46% ABV) – R590
R600 to R1000
- Talisker 10 year old (45.8% ABV) – R640
- Glenfarclas 105 10 year old Cask Strength (60% ABV) – R810
- Bowmore Darkest 15 year old (43% ABV) – R960
Greater than R1000
- Kavalan Soloist Sherry Cask Strength (57.8% ABV) – R1700
- Octomore Edition 6.1(57% ABV) – R1700
I have been fortunate enough to of have tried (and enjoyed) all of the above whiskies and can say that they are all very fine drams. All that is left to say is that I wish all a festive, peaceful and happy time over the holidays.
Sláinte and Happy Holidays’ to all!